Under KiwiSaver, if you have permanently migrated to Australia you can apply for approval to transfer your funds to your Australian superannuation scheme ("Australian Superannuation Scheme"). Your Australian Superannuation Scheme must be what is referred to as a complying super fund, regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).
You apply to SuperLife ("the Manager") of the SuperLife KiwiSaver scheme. If approved, your KiwiSaver balance will be transferred.
To apply to transfer your KiwiSaver Account following your permanent emigration from New Zealand to Australia, you will need to take the following steps:
1. Complete a SuperLife transfer request form.
2. Complete the statutory declaration. It must be signed by someone who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace (JP), or other notary public in New Zealand.
3. Attach evidence to satisfy the Manager that you have permanently migrated to Australia. This should include:
- Proof of departure from New Zealand, such as travel documents;
- Certified copy of passport;
- Proof of an address in Australia that you have lived at since leaving New Zealand;
- Visa details if relevant;
- Evidence to support your claim to have permanently emigrated, such as current address details, employment confirmation, power bills, bank statements.
4. Send the completed form together with the supporting documentation to us.
5. Arrange for your Australian Superannuation Scheme to send a formal request for your KiwiSaver to be transferred. This must include:
- The name of the Australian Superannuation Scheme
- The address of the Australian Superannuation Scheme
- The Australian Superannuation Scheme's Australian Business Number (ABN) and Super Product Identification Number (SPIN)
- The Australian Superannuation Scheme's bank account details for payment
- Bank name and address
- Swift code
- Account name
- Account number
- Evidence of account (copy of deposit slip, bank statement etc.)
- Your membership number in the Australian Superannuation Scheme.
Once your application and the Australian Superannuation Scheme's request have been considered, we will advise you of the outcome. If approved, your KiwiSaver Account balance will be paid to your Australian Superannuation Scheme's bank account. Note, if your KiwiSaver Account has any MTC's that were paid in respect of a period in which you have lived outside New Zealand, they will be repaid to the IRD.